United States Citizenship through Naturalization

If you were not born as a U.S. citizen, Naturalization is the process by which you can obtain the United States citizenship if you make application to United States Citizenship & Immigration Services “USCIS” and meet specific qualifications set forth in the U.S. Immigration And Nationality Laws.

“Parole in Place” A New Immigration Policy for Military Families by USCIS

Parole in Place” could be a step toward Immigration Reform. On November 15, 2013 the Obama administration released a new immigration policy memorandum addressing Parole in Place for spouses, children and parents of active duty members of the United States Armed Forces and the members of Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve (including the National Guard) or former members who previously served in the Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve for United States (veterans).

Exception to the Two Year Custody and Two Year Residency Requirements for Abused Adopted Children

The 2005 VAWA changes allow abused adopted children to leave an abusive household without adversely affecting their eligibility to file a VAWA self-petition. The abused child can submit a petition for classification as a lawful permanent resident under INA section 204.

Employee or Independent Contractor- Why does it Matter?

When Internal Revenue Service auditors examine a business for the purpose of determining worker classification, the Service will generally follow the United States Supreme Court’s 1947 decision in a case called, United States vs. Silk. The cost for misclassification of workers can be tremendous. Noncompliant entities could be eligible for certain safe-harbor provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.

Immigration Alert: U.S. Department of State Visa Bulletin Category F2A is Current Beginning August 1, 2013

Green Card Holders who desire to get Green Cards for their Spouses and Children (unmarried and under 21 year olds) need to file the appropriate applications and supporting documentation on behalf of their spouses or children beginning August 1, 2013.

Is the Mexican Land Trust Subject to U.S. Taxation?

A Mexican Land Trust is commonly referred to as the ‘fideicomiso’.  What is a fideicomiso?  Well in short, a Mexican Land Trust is how non-Mexican persons hold residential real property located in restricted zones in Mexico. By the constitutional laws of Mexico, non-Mexican persons cannot directly own residential real property in “restricted zones” of Mexico.  Therefore many foreign nationals hold residential real property in Mexican Land Trust or ‘fideicomiso’.