“Parole in Place” A New Immigration Policy for Military Families by USCIS

Coleman Jackson, PC
Immigration & Tax Law Firm
Firm Site www.cjacksonlaw.com

November 27, 2013

Parole in Place” could be a step toward Immigration Reform. On November 15, 2013 the Obama administration released a new immigration policy memorandum addressing Parole in Place for spouses, children and parents of active duty members of the United States Armed Forces and the members of Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve (including the National Guard) or former members who previously served in the Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve for United States (veterans).

Under Immigration and Nationality Act section 222(a) (6) (A) (i) the new USCIS policy allows “Parole in Place” (PIP) of undocumented immigrant spouses, children and parents of military members, reservists and veterans. They can legally stay in United States and can apply for a green card through adjustment of status during the application of parole.

Parole in Place - New Immigration Policy for U.S. Military Families


And once the parole is granted they are eligible to apply for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to work in United States and can travel abroad for legitimate personal or business reasons.

The Required Documents to Request Parole in Place:

  1. Completed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.
  2. Evidence of the family relationship.
  3. Evidence that the alien’s family member is an Active Duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces, individual in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve or an individual who previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve or the Ready Reserve, such as a photocopy of both the front and back of the service member’s military identification card (DD Form 1173).
  4. Two identical, color, passport style photographs.
  5. Evidence of any additional favorable discretionary factors that the requestor wishes the government to consider.

This blog is written to inform and for educational purposes only.  It is not given as legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship.  You should consult an attorney for any particular matter pertaining to your specific facts and circumstances.

Immigration & Tax Law Firm
6060 North Central Expressway, Suite 443
Dallas, Texas 75206
Office Phone:  (214) 599-0431 (English)   (214) 599-0432 (Spanish)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *